Recent News from NFCC
This page contains articles and podcast videos related to various mental health topics that may be of interest to you.
Teens, Smartphones and Sex, by Amy Birchill Lavergne, M.Ed, LMFT-S, LPC-S
Is there a link between teens with smartphones engaging in more sexual behaviors than those without smart phones?
NFCC Recognized for Depression Awareness & Affordable Counseling, by P. Roane
Nick Finnegan Counseling Center (NFCC) is one of 12 honorees for the Mental Health Makes a Difference community recognition program. The honor comes from Mental Health America (MHA) of Greater Houston, the city's oldest mental health education and advocacy organization.
Men & Depression, by M.Muller, videographer
With more than 6 million men in the US having depression, the good news is it's treatable. 80-90% of people with depression respond positively to treatment. What better time to learn the signs & seek help than in October: Depression Awareness Month. Watch & learn about depression in men from NFCC counselor Derek Prins, LPC.
Depression Awareness: Women, by M. Muller, videographer
One in 8 women in the US suffer from depression but only 20 percent seek treatment. The other 80 percent suffer alone. Learn more about one of the country's most common illnesses from licensed counselor and NFCC Executive Director, Amy Birchill Lavergne.
Back-to-School Anxiety, by KPRC-TV Channel 2
The start of a new school year can be exciting for some children but stressful for others. Our child specialist and Executive Director, Amy Birchill Lavergne, has some tips for parents to help reduce children's anxiety. Click the image to watch Amy's most recent interview on this topic.
Helping Children with Grief, Loss & Trauma, by Amy Birchill Lavergne, M.Ed, LMFT-S, LPC-S
In the aftermath of the loss of a life, 39 percent of children have trouble sleeping and 45 percent have difficulty concentrating according to the National Alliance for Grieving Children. Learn how bereavement differs for children from Nick Finnegan Counseling Center (NFCC) child therapist and greif specialist Amy Birchill Lavergne, M.Ed, LMFT-S, LPC-S.
Conflict Resolution Matters More Than Conflict Occurance, by Amy Birchill Lavergne, M.Ed, LMFT-S, LPC-S
Conflict is inevitable in any relationship - romantic, professional, or otherwise. How conflicts get resolved matters more than the number of conflicts that happen. Learn how conflict can be productive from NFCC therapist Amy Birchill Lavergne, M.Ed, LMFT-S, LPC-S.
15% of Men Experience Depression, by Derek Prins, LPC
June is all about men: it's men's health month, Father's Day is the 17th, and the 11th-17th is men's mental health awareness week. Learn more about men's mental health - specifically depression - from NFCC therapist Derek Prins, LPC.
Almost 1 in 3 Young Adults Has a Mental Illness, by Amy Birchill Lavergne, M.Ed, LMFT-S, LPC-S
Nearly 30% of Americans ages 18-25 suffer from a mental illness but many do not seek therapeutic services. Learn about decreasing the social stigma of counseling during Mental Health Awareness Month this May.
1 in 5 Women Develop Depression, by Amy Birchill Lavergne, LMFT-S, LPC-S
May 13-19 is National Women's Mental Health Awareness Week. Learn more about women's mental health -- specifically depression -- from NFCC therapist Amy Birchill Lavergne, LMFT-S, LPC-S. Call 713-402-5090 for more information or to schedule an appointment with an NFCC counselor.